Also see the
Joubertina is a small village in the Langkloof, a valley of about 120Km between the Kouga Mountains (south), and the Tsitsikamma Mountains (north). Smuts Peak (1757m) is the highest peak in the Kouga Mountains, and just north of Joubertina. The Baviaanskloof Mountains are north of the Kouga Mountains, and the Baviaanskloof Wilderness Area, to the east.
San rock paintings can be seen in the area.
In 1999 a mummy was found by an archaeologist of Grahamstown's Albany Museum, Johan Binneman, on a farm owned by Fanie Gerber in the Baviaanskloof Mountains. The mummy was named Moses and was dated as 2000 years old. The mummy is male, most likely an ancestor of Khoisan people on the basis of the burial method. Its stomach contents indicate that his last meal consisted of wax berry and honeybush. This is the only mummy to have been found in the south of Africa.
The sandstone Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1911 and it has a yellowwood interior.
At Skrijwershoek and old farmhosue, dating from around 1800, can be seen.
A NG80 Garratt steam locomotive is on display in town
Photo: Errol Swanepoel
There are about 30 hiking trails and mountain bike trails in the Joubertina area. Bike trails range from short trips that take a few hours, to trips that take several days.
Formosa Peak (1675m) is in the Tsitsikamma Mountains to the west of Joubertina, near Misgund, and is popular among mountaineers.
The Langkloof blossom festival is held annualy around August.
The Formosa Nature Reserve is west of Joubertina in the Tsitsikamma Mountains. Formosa Peak (1675m) is the highest peak in this mountain range.
The Baviaanskloof Wilderness Area is a World Heritage site of about 270'000 hectares to the east of Joubertina.
Krakeel (Dutch for fighting) is a railway station 12Km to the west of Joubertina.
In 1856 Haarlem was established as a mission station, but first named Anhalt-Schmidt. The first missionary was Friedrich Prietsch, who came from Anhalt in Germany. As the locals struggeld with the pronunciation of the name, it was changed to Haarlem, a Dutch town near Amsterdam. In 1880 a church was built in the Neo-Gothic style. Its building was initiated by Heinrich Howe and Cristoph Markotter.
In 1770 a loan farm was awarded in the area to Matthijs Strijdom.
In 1802 a group of Xhosa attacked European settlers on the Waboom River. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) British troops camped on the banks of the river.
Joubertina was founded in 1907 on a portion of a farm owned by Daniel Kritzinger, a teetotaller. A condition of sale was that alcohol could not be served within the town borders. The Joubertina was built outside the border to get around this clause.
The town was originally named Joubertsburg, and then Joubertville after the Dutch Reformed minister of Uniondale, WA Joubert (who served from 1879 to 1892), but as there already was a railway station with the latter name, it was changed to Joubertina.
Joubertina became a municipality in 1971.
Before road transport took over from rail transport, a train did the route through the valley between Avontuur and Port Elizabeth. As soft fruits was the dominant goods to be transported, it was known as the Apple Express. Today the Apple Express runs as a tourist attraction, but not through the valley. It runs northward of Port Elizabeth to Patensie.
Soft fruits, apples, pears.