Also see the neighbouring towns
San rock art can be seen on the farm Boschpoort. There are also fossilised mammals in the riverbed on the farm.
The Sarel Cilliers Museum is home to an exhibition of Kroonstad's history and forms the backdrop to a memorial of Voortrekker Sarel Cilliers. His restored farmstead can be visited.
The Bloemspruit Monument at the site of the Kroonstad Concentration Camp of the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902).
The Garden of Remembrance on the corner of Turner, Beyers and Marais Streets, North Road, commemorate Allied soldiers who died during the First and Second World Wars.
Stone Corbelled Huts can be seen on the farm Sedan in the Lindley District. These prehistoric beehive (corbelled) huts date from the 1600's when the first African clans migrated to the area and settled on the hills and the banks of the Vals, Sand, Rhenoster and Wilge Rivers. These are of the best preserved examples of that early building style.
The Standard Bank Building was built in 1862 and operated since then as a Registerd Bank.
The Old Blockhouse was built for the protection of the old train bridge during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). It is about 5Km southwest from Kroonstad near the Barend Strydom dam.
The first train steamed into Kroonstad on 20 February 1892. During 1955 the station received 70 trains every 24 hours, one train every 20 minutes.
The Tswelopele Library in Maokeng, Kroonstad, commemorates 30 youth who died during the riots on 11 February 1985.
Kroonstad was established in 1855.
A horse of Sarel Cilliers, with the name Kroon, meaning Crown, drowned in a stream on the site of the present town.
For about two months, from March to May 1900, Kroonstad was the capital of the Republic of the Orange Free State. This was during the Anglo-Boer War.
Photos and some information, courtesy of Moqhaka Tourism from Tharia Unwin.